Ah, Seska. Before being revealed as a traitor and leaving the USS Voyager to take her chances in the Delta Quadrant, she was apparently very good at making mushroom soup (Voyager: State of Flux). Her desire to make mushroom soup was based on the fact that it was Chakotay’s favourite - and given how nice this is, I am not surprised.
This is a great soup to make when you don’t have much time as it only takes about 20 minutes to prepare, but is rich and satisfying. Cream is a traditional addition, but I admit I found the soup rich enough without it. I would suggest reserving a few of the chopped mushrooms to add back into the soup when serving. The Parmesan cheese on top is also optional, but is a nice addition.
Replicate your own
(Serves 3-4 if served with bread)
700g / 24.5 oz button mushrooms, roughly chopped
1 onion, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, for sauteing
1 litre / 1 quart vegetable stock
Salt and pepper, to taste
3 tablespoons plain flour
60ml / 2 fl oz cream (optional)
Grated parmesan cheese, for dusting the top (optional)
Start by roughly chopping the mushrooms and onion. In a large saucepan, add the vegetable oil and heat. Add the onions, garlic and thyme, and gently saute until the onions begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
Add the mushrooms and cook until they release their juice and become soft and brown (about 7-10 minutes). Add the flour and stir well until it absorbs all the liquid.
Begin to add the stock, about half a cup at a time, stirring well to ensure there are no lumps. When the stock is all added, bring to the boil and simmer for 2-3 minutes, and remove from the heat.
If using the cream, add it in now, and add the salt and pepper to taste. Reserve a small amount of the soup with pieces of mushroom, and place the rest of the soup in a blender and blend until smooth (or use a stick blender).
To serve, place the blended soup in a bowl, and add a spoonful of the reserved mushroom slices. Sprinkle the parmesan cheese on top (if using) and serve with sourdough or rye bread. Consider how happy Chakotay will be to receive a bowl of this soup!
- caseyhey likes this
- nvzfoodref reblogged this from nerdyrecipes
- undulatingfez reblogged this from nerdyrecipes
- nerdyrecipes reblogged this from foodreplicator
- macrosalei likes this
- berrypaw likes this
- guardevoir likes this
- caravanofcrap reblogged this from captainbitca
- bamf-ness likes this
- torgowhovian likes this
- angryqueershakespeare likes this
- captainbitca reblogged this from intrepidclass
- katieanne1603 likes this
- docbevculver likes this
- heylookitseli-archives reblogged this from intrepidclass
- intrepidclass reblogged this from foodreplicator
- intrepidclass likes this
- stuartlohe likes this
- cmdr-beverlycrusher-md reblogged this from foodreplicator
- teamboshi reblogged this from foodreplicator
- reverendarielle likes this
- janewaytookmycoffeecastle reblogged this from foodreplicator
- janewaytookmycoffeecastle likes this
- psiphinut reblogged this from foodreplicator and added:
- psiphinut likes this
- inspieos likes this
- malachitegrey likes this
- mothsarefluffy likes this
- tehriz likes this
- libraryofalexandria likes this
- livingonstarlight likes this
- kholdmalik likes this
- asyoulaichit likes this
- ladyvyola likes this
- totallynotagentphilcoulson reblogged this from foodreplicator
- foodreplicator posted this