***Red alert! This post discusses the preparation of blood. If you don’t want to read about this, I suggest reversing your engines, changing course and coming back next week!***
So let’s get one thing straight. Rokeg Blood Pie, in my opinion, should be made with…blood. None of this raspberry puree stuff. I just can’t imagine a bunch of battle-weary Klingons sitting down to a delicate raspberry pie as part of a main meal. Blood, on the other hand, has all sorts of iron-enhancing properties which I am sure is good for preparing for battle.
This pie is essentially black pudding/boudin noir filling inside a pastry crust. The best way to describe the flavour is to say it is like eating a very rich sausage roll. You will need a few Klingons to help finish this pie, as you’ll only need small slices as it is quite rich.
I made 2 versions of this pie - for the first, as you see below, I made a traditional pie, with pastry and the Klingon insignia as decoration on the top. The second is at the end of the post and reflects how the pie appears in The Next Generation (A Matter of Honor). The filling is the same in both cases.
Replicate your own
(Makes a pie to serve 8-10 people)
(Based on Wrightfood’s recipe for blood sausage / morcilla)
600ml / 20 fl oz pig’s blood
150ml / 5 fl oz heavy cream
280g / 10oz pork back fat, finely diced
280g / 10oz onions, finely diced
2 tablespoons rolled oats
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika
1/2 tablespoon sweet paprika
1/2 tablespoon nutmeg
1/2 tablespoon white pepper
1/2 tablespoon chili flakes (optional)
3 small beetroots with long roots (if preparing the pie to look like it does on The Next Generation)
For the pastry (If using):
180g / 6 1/3oz butter, at room temperature
240g / 81/2oz flour
1-2 tablespoons ice water
Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F.
Start by making the pastry (if using). Rub the flour and butter together in a bowl until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add a tablespoon of ice water and bring the mixture together into a ball. Add the second tablespoon of water if needed. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed.
For the filling:
Start by cooking the onions until soft, and then add the diced pork fat. Cook for a few minutes until the fat turns slightly translucent, then remove from the heat and let cool.
Put the blood in a blender and blend for a couple of minutes to break it up, then strain into a bowl, to remove any clots. To the blood, add the cooled pieces of fat and onions, cream and the oats and spices. Stir well to combine.
Roll out the pastry and place onto a tart or pie pan. Cover with aluminum foil and add pie weights, coins or dried beans as weights. Bake for about 15 minutes, until it begins to brown.
Remove the foil and the weights, and immediately add the blood mixture. Make sure you stir it, so any bits that have fallen to the bottom are remixed. I find it easiest to use a soup ladle and ladle it in to the pie shell.
Bake for about 30-40 minutes, or until the mixture is firm to the touch and a dark bown colour. If desired, add any scraps of pastry to the top in a lattice or other design. Return to the oven and bake for a further 5 minutes to brown the pastry.
If you want to make the version as it appeared on TNG, boil your beetroots for about 20 minutes, so they are starting to soften but not completely soft. Make the filling as described above, then pour into a glass bowl. Insert the beetroots in the top, and bake for 30-40 minutes until the mixture is firm to the touch. Serve to your Klingon High Council and be assured that honour is satisfied.
- the-reticent-people likes this
- nicboyman reblogged this from foodreplicator
- nicboyman likes this
- golldfish likes this
- elliedlouise likes this
- telluriantribble likes this
- bohemianelitist likes this
- yesiamspock likes this
- supernovaslut likes this
- molly-ren likes this
- wildhollow reblogged this from foodreplicator
- tea-earlgreyhot likes this
- phantasrs likes this
- time-engineer reblogged this from foodreplicator
- lunoki likes this
- re-ran likes this
- jakeenglishmcmuffin reblogged this from nerdyrecipes
- thomarvelous reblogged this from foodreplicator
- deve2k reblogged this from foodreplicator
- deve2k likes this
- talalyla reblogged this from foodreplicator
- talalyla likes this
- nerdyrecipes reblogged this from foodreplicator
- nomthreat likes this
- redshirtknitting reblogged this from foodreplicator
- hellboundanddown reblogged this from foodreplicator
- hellboundanddown likes this
- corruptedcharlie likes this
- an-airship-full-of-spiders likes this
- ladylarkin likes this
- changesmith2 reblogged this from foodreplicator
- kholdmalik likes this
- cosmic-llin likes this
- evandre15 likes this
- transquadricpalesexual likes this
- charge--teamscourge likes this
- anamericanwerewolfintraffic reblogged this from foodreplicator
- overnight-shipping reblogged this from sweet-plush-rump
- sweet-plush-rump reblogged this from totallynotagentphilcoulson
- sweet-plush-rump likes this
- slowlytonguedbycaptainkirk likes this
- needsmoreandroidslashfic reblogged this from foodreplicator
- robbiebaldwin likes this
- mintamenapie reblogged this from totallynotagentphilcoulson
- mintamenapie likes this
- wesley-crusher likes this
- totallynotagentphilcoulson reblogged this from foodreplicator
- foodreplicator posted this